What should you know about your auto insurance?
Auto insurance is one of the insurances that yes or yes you need to have to protect your finances.
If you already have one or are in the process of hiring one, you need to know some important concepts and information so that you better understand your policy and can make good use of it.
There are three parts to your auto insurance policy
- The contracting party: who is the person who pays for the insurance. It’s probably you or one of your parents.
- The beneficiary: which is the person who benefits from the services provided by the insurer.
- The insurer: which is the company that will offer you assistance and coverage services in the event of an accident.
Protection for your car
Your car insurance is specifically designed to protect your car and, depending on the coverage you purchase, the damage you may cause to other vehicles. In fact, civil liability coverage, which is responsible for guaranteeing payment for damages that you may cause to third parties (goods and people) in a road accident, has been mandatory since 2019.
Since your car is the one that is insured, the benefits you will receive from the insurer in the event of an accident do not depend on the person who is driving the vehicle. However, this rule does not apply in the following cases:
- If the driver is drunk or under drug intoxication.
- If the driver is driving the car without the contracting party’s authorization.
- If the driver does not have a driver’s license or permit.
- Not having a registration card and other documents required for the vehicle.
- If the payment of the policy was not made on time, or if the renewal was not carried out within 30 days after the expiration of the previous one.
If you have an accident, we recommend…
- Remain calm at all times.
- Immediately report the accident to your insurer.
- Do not abandon your vehicle, unless it is absolutely necessary for safety.
- Wait for your adjuster and don’t make a separate settlement with the other people involved in the accident.
- Don’t argue.
- Identify all vehicles involved with their license plate numbers. If possible, also with the name of the drivers.
Data you should have on hand in case of an accident
- Policy number.
- Names of the insured and the driver.
- Make, model, license plates and engine serial number of the insured car.
- If possible, the exact address where the accident occurred, including street, neighborhood and some reference that allows locating the place faster.
If you still do not have auto insurance, you are in time to hire it. From the outset, remember that civil liability insurance is mandatory, but, in addition to this, having extensive coverage will allow you to travel in your car with the security of knowing that it is protected against any incident that you may have on the street.
Don’t think about it too much, hire your car insurance today. At Seguritlán it will be a pleasure to assist you and offer you the best protection plans and prices for auto insurance in Mexico. We have months without interest and discounts when you make your contract online.